West Heys, 63 Whiteley Wood Road
- Six Bedroom Detached Family Home
- Three Reception Rooms
- Bespoke Breakfast Kitchen With AGA & Appliances
- Six Double Bedrooms (One En Suite)
- Family Bathroom With Four Piece Suite Inc. Shower
- Second Floor Lounge/Games Room
- Utility, GF W.C., Sun Room, Cellar Storage
- Mature Gardens, Paddock (Approx. One Acres)
- Driveway/Off Road Parking, Detached Garage, Wood Store
- Energy Rating - TBC, Gas Central Heating, Double Glazing
Situated on the fringe of Whiteley Woods and the Mayfield Valley is this imposing six bedroom late Victorian detached family home. Set in substantial grounds with an adjoining paddock of approximately one acre, the property dates back to 1898, built by the Lord Mayors family and retains many original features throughout including a stunning stained glass window depicting the Lord Mayors’ crest. A fabulous bespoke Russell & Hutton breakfast kitchen with AGA is a focal point of the extensive living space on the ground floor which also includes a generous lounge, dining room & study. Four double bedrooms (one en-suite) and a family bathroom on the first floor together with a second floor lounge/games room, a further two double bedrooms & kitchen/en-suite all combine to create a highly desirable home, set in beautiful gardens in a much sought after location. Well placed for local amenities, country walks and parklands.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION West Heys is a family home steeped in history. The house plot was bought by Leonard Johnson Clegg in 1898 who was the younger of the three Clegg brothers – William Edwin & John charles. The Cleggs were a famous sheffield family. Their father was William Johnson Clegg who was the first official receiver of Sheffield and was elected Lord Mayor of Sheffield on several occasions. It was William Johnson laid the inaugural stone to the Sheffield Town Hall in 1891 which is still there to this day.
The stained glass window that sits prominently on the staircase is thought to depict the Mayoral Crest. William Edwin Clegg, (Leonards brother) was Lord Mayor in 1898 and the crest features the lion rampant which is the Duke of Norfolk crest who bestowed the title Lord Mayor to the city in 1897. It is thought that the window was designed by the Clegg family in homage to their recent Lord Mayorship.
William Edwin and John Charles became leading lights in English and Sheffield football, representing England and chairing the FA as well as both Sheffield United & Sheffield Wednesday. All were lawyers and became the law firm Clegg & Sons which later merged as Wake Smith.
The house was sold after Leonard Johnsons death in 1939 to Lionel Stephen Edward Farriss (he would become Lord Mayor of Sheffield).